Shafaq News / The US State Department reported on Monday that the United States did not inform Iraq, before carrying out the strikes on the headquarters of the Popular Mobilization and pro-Iranian factions in Madarat and Al-Qaim, west of Anbar province.
“Iraq understood that there would be a US response after the deadly attack on US forces in Jordan,” the ministry’s deputy spokesman, Vidant Patel, said during a press conference, followed by Shafaq News.
Vidana added: “There was no prior notice to the Iraqi government. We informed the Iraqis immediately after the strikes,” he said, noting that “the United States is still assessing the damage caused by its strikes in Iraq.”
Early last Saturday morning, the U.S. Army Central Command reported that its forces had conducted airstrikes in Iraq and Syria targeting positions of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’s Quds Force and militia groups.
According to the statement, the airstrikes used more than 125 precision-guided munitions, noting that the targets included command and control headquarters, intelligence centers, missile warehouses, marches, ammunition and logistical supplies belonging to militias and the Revolutionary Guards.
White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby confirmed Saturday that the Iraqi government had already been informed before launching the airstrikes.
In turn, the spokesman for the Iraqi government in the name of Al-Awadi denied the existence of prior coordination between Baghdad and Washington on the strikes by US forces targeting the positions of the security forces in the western province of Anbar, stressing the loss of 16 victims and 25 injuries as a result of that “aggression.”
US President Joe Biden had directed military forces to strike targets in Iraq and Syria used by the Iranian Revolutionary Guards and their affiliated militias to attack US forces, he said, stressing that although the United States does not seek an escalation in the Middle East, it will inevitably respond to those who harm Americans.